Psalm 119 - A Confession
The lofty aims of Psalm 119 can seem way out of our ability to achieve. Dave has interspersed the first section with lines of a confession prayer. It could be led from the front - perhaps with the congregation reading the scripture whilst a leader says the in-between lines. Or it could be printed or projected for people to reflect on.
Extract from the prayer:
1. Happy are those whose way is blameless, who walk in the law of the LORD.
My walk is not blameless, I often break your laws, O Lord.
2. Happy are those who keep his decrees, who seek him with their whole heart.
I long to serve you with all I have, all my mind, soul, heart and strength, but I fail.
3. Happy are those who do no wrong, but walk in his ways.
I wish I could only do right, only walk in your footsteps, but I wander to the right and the left.
4. You have commanded your precepts to be kept diligently.
Your instructions are perfect, and I know them and reach toward them, but my reaching is short.
5. O that my ways may be steadfast in keeping your statutes!
Lord, help me to pay attention to your ways, to the prompting of your Spirit.
6. Then I shall not be put to shame, having my eyes fixed on all your commandments.
And when I fall, when I fail again, help me to have the humility to look to Jesus...
For the full text, sign in or sign up, and download from above/right.